Monday 14 October 2013

Week 3 - phew!

I think the session went well, apart from a few teething problems. The students seemed to know what they were doing with the Macs, so that side was much smoother than I'd anticipated. Thanks, Jane, for getting them going during the first two sessions! Sian and I quickly decided we needed the microphone after all, after foolishly thinking we could manage without. It was fine when the students were silent, but even a low hum of noise easily drowned our voices. Feedback to the SCALE-UP project team - invest in more microphones. We could have done with one each, and I'm sure we not the only ones team teaching. Jane was brilliant in passing on tips for improving our delivery - have all links for resources the students are going to use set up in NOW; wander round with the mic when getting feedback. I was really impressed with how the students listened to the activity briefings and how they seemed to engage with the tasks. It was quite difficult to check they all did what we asked, as it took ages to get round them all (and there were only 52 in today's session). It felt as though the room was almost full so I was surprised at the number. The students seemed to enjoy using Padlet, and picked it up pretty quickly. A few of them were happy to engage with the feedback discussions, and they all listened, even if they felt a bit shy in shouting out answers. One of my colleagues who was observing was impressed by the fact the students answered our questions, so that was good positive feedback. I didn't have time to chat to the new Digital Assistants at the end, which was a shame as I'm interested to know what they thought of it all. I'll find out when I see them on Wednesday. All in all, it was enjoyable. I felt shattered afterwards, and my feet ache, but I feel positive about the experience. I felt as though the students really did take control of their learning.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it went really well - it is quite surprising how well the students do engage ona subject as dry as referencing. I did spot one pair looking at cars on the internet (could have been worse!) but when I challenged them (humourously) they had actually completed their task. So maybe one thing to think about is having an "extension" task for the quicker ones or something more to do in terms of online research - you could have asked them to find out about the Beyonce or Harry Potter cases, for example. My fault is I give them too much - somewhere along the way we will strike a balance :)

    ReplyDelete